Church of Demetrius of Thessaloniki
|Address:||Kirillov district, Vologda region, Russia|
|Place:||Tsypino museum complex|
It is still unknown when the Church of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki was exactly constructed, but it may be assumed that it was consecrated in the late 17th - early 18th centuries. In 1734, there were two wooden churches in Tsypino: the summer (unheated) Church of Saint Prophet Elijah and the winter (heated) Church of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki.
The Church of Saint Demetrius burned down between 1734 and 1736. A new wooden church was built on its place. There was a myrrh-streaming icon of Saint Demetrius in it at the end of the 18th century. In 1800, the stone Church of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki was erected on the place of the dilapidated wooden building. It had a heated side-altar of Saint George (a stone belfry with five bells was connected with the church that was decorated with a three-tier iconostasis).
After the construction of the stone Church of Saint Demetrius, the refectory of the wooden building served as a workshop where craftsmen and painters carved iconostases and created icons for the new church.
In 1953, the stone Church of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki with the belfry was blown up. Bricks of the destroyed church and the stone fence were taken away by local residents. Besides, a part of them was used to repair roads.